The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Juniors Prepare For The ACT (and What Did Seniors Did To Prepare)

Juniors are required to take the ACT this March. The ACT is a standardized test used for college admissions as well as a way to rank schools in the United States. Scores range from one to 36. The higher the score the better it reflects on the States report card.

This test covers four skills: English, mathematics, reading and science. 

The English portion is 45 minutes long with 75 questions. The mathematics portion is 60 minutes long with 60 questions. The reading portion is 35 minutes long with 40 questions. The science portion is 35 minutes with 40 questions. Students get one break during the test that is 10 minutes long. 

Senior Rachel Kleinhans said, “I did not study for the ACT, it’s not really a test you can study for.” 

Each portion taken is scored individually and the composite score is the average score from each portion. 

Certain colleges accept superscores which means students can submit their best scores from each subject after multiple test attempts. 

Junior Rachel Reidy said, “I don’t know what I should even study.” 

Students are able to take this test as many times as they wish to, however according to ACT.org, students tend to take it two to three times on average. 

Wisconsin requires every 11th grader to take the ACT March 12, 2024. These results determine AHS state report card scores for 2024 students.

There are also study classes and books students can use to help prepare for this test as well. The classes are called ACT prep-classes and they tend to be an hour long class one to two times a week. 

According to piqosity.com these classes do cost money and range from $89-$100 per hour. 

There is also a bootcamp for the ACT that Arrowhead is offering this year for Junior students. There are four days students can go to these to prepare for the ACT. These are on Saturday January 20th and 27th as well as February third and 24th. Students can either sign up for 9-11:30 or 12:20-3. This costs $150 total for the four days. 

Senior Nadah Arabiyat said, “The ACT is about strategy so I looked up how to strategize when taking the ACT.”