January 10th Is National Bittersweet Chocolate Day

National Bittersweet Chocolate day on January tenth gives people the excuse to have some chocolate. National Bittersweet chocolate with almonds day is celebrated on November seventh.

According to National Today, Chocolate comes from the seed of the tropical cacao tree. Cacao for chocolate has been cultivated for at least ten to twelve months. This plant is grown in Mexico, Central America, and Northern South America. The cacao tree seed has an intensely bitter taste and must be fermented to develop the flavor. 

Once the seeds have been fermented, the beans are then dried and cleaned and then roasted. After the beans are roasted the shell is removed to produce cacao nibs. These are used to ground into a cocoa. 

According to National Today, studies have revealed that there are health benefits from eating bittersweet chocolate in moderation, such as lowering blood pressure and helping to protect the heart. 

Julia Payne, an Arrowhead High School junior, says, “I don’t prefer bitter sweet chocolate. I will eat it but it’s not my favorite at all. “

Bittersweet chocolate often is sprinkled in coffee, pudding or chocolate chip cookies. Bittersweet chocolate and dark chocolate are similar. The amount of cacao may vary from product to product, bittersweet chocolate mich have a minimum of 35 percent cacao. It also is called semi sweet chocolate.

Emily Lauber, an Arrowhead High School junior, says, “I don’t like bittersweet chocolate, it’s just too bitter for my liking. It would be good on strawberries but otherwise I don’t prefer it.“