National Seatbelt Day Brings Awareness for Students

National seatbelt day is on November 14 and it brings awareness to the importance of wearing a seatbelt.

National seatbelt day was created in 2019 by the Governors Highway Safety Association, also known as GHSA. The association teamed up with Volvo and Uber to spread awareness of the importance of wearing a seatbelt by launching National Seatbelt Day.

Senior Laila Alvarado says, “I didn’t know Uber played a role in the creation of this holiday. I mean it makes sense that Uber promotes the safety of not only their passengers but also their employees.”

According to National Today, more than 46,000 Americans die in car accidents every year along with four million others sustaining injuries that require medical attention. By wearing a seatbelt, the chance of dying in the front seats is reduced by forty five percent. Seat belts also reduce the risk of severe injury by fifty percent.

“I didn’t know that there was a national day for seatbelts. I mean I always wear my seatbelt. It’s such of a mindless task that I don’t even notice,” said Alvarado.

Even though the seatbelt was created in 1855, car manufacturers only started requiring seat belts in new cars in 1968. In 1990, if a person was not wearing a seatbelt, a small chime would go off as a reminder.

Junior Aaron Kranzman says, “I know some bad drivers so I’m always wearing a seatbelt.”

Choosing to not wear a seatbelt is a secondary or primary offense in the US, except for New Hampshire. New Hampshire is the only state where adults do not have to wear a seatbelt. If a person is not wearing a seatbelt in Wisconsin, a fine of $10 will be handed to the driver but could increase to $75 if a child is also not restrained.

Alvarado also says, “I’m glad it’s a national day because it spreads awareness about wearing your seatbelt, it saves lives.”