The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

What Students Prefer To Put Pickles On For National Pickle Day

National pickle day recognizes the tart, sometimes sweet and even spicy pickles. Each year on November 14th, pickle lovers get their preferred preserved pickles. It may be a dill, gherkin, cornichon, brined kosher dill, polish, Hungarian limen bread and butter, Swedish and Danish, or kool-aid pickle. No matter your choice, November is the month for pickles.  

The term Pickle comes from the Dutch word peckel, meaning brine. In the United States, the word pickle typically refers to a pickled cucumber. However, just about any fruit or vegetable can be pickled. 

The process typically starts with a blanching process, depending on the fruit or vegetable. Then the product is packed into jars with seasonings that will give the pickles their flavor. They can be spicy, tart or sweet. However, the tartness and sweetness come from the brine. A basic brine includes vinegar and water. Various amounts of sugar adjust the level of sweetness in the brine. 

Arrowhead High School students eat pickles served in the cafeteria inside of the sandwiches and subs that are served for lunch during students’ sixth and seventh period lunch hours. 

Jessica Thompson, an Arrowhead High School special education teacher says,  “I despise pickles. They are gross, sour, weird texture, and green. Gross! I order my food specifically without them or take them off immediately if I see them.”