Buzz Cut Epidemic Spreads Through Arrowhead

Buzzcuts were first seen on Roman Empire soldiers according to The Encyclopedia of Hair by Victoria Sherrow. Now, they are appearing in the hallways of Arrowhead High School. Students have noticed an uptick in the amount of buzz cuts in the 2023 school year.  

According to the New York Times, buzz cuts have been rising in popularity since the year 2022. The NYT says, “There’s plenty of evidence that the shaved head is the first trendy cut of 2022.”

Students have strong opinions about the new trend. 

Kyra Vojvodich a senior said, “As a long hair enjoyer, I am one of the many who feel personally victimized by this outbreak. I hope that all who have made this mistake take the time to reflect on their actions and wear a hat.”

For students who want to embrace this trend, there are options on how to begin a journey with buzz cuts. 

Many people give themselves the haircut. According to the New York Times, those who cut it themselves should, “Start from the forehead and buzz the hair back to the crown of your head. You want to hold the trimmer so the blade is flat against your head. Going in small sections, slowly move the clippers from one end to the other — you will have to go over sections a few times to get an even look.”

Most of the students partaking in this trend are male. Many students also choose to take the buzz cuts one step further by bleaching their hair. 

Buzz cut victim and Junior Noah Fohey has a story behind his decision. “Me and my friend were coaching a basketball team and they haven’t won a game all season, and we told them if they won the last game of the season we would shave our heads.”

Recent celebrities with shaved and or bleached hair include Dylan O’brien, Frank Ocean, and Micheal B Jordan. Women with buzz cuts include Doja cat, Jada Pinkett-Smith, and Dixie D’Amelio.

Junior Torrin Ekholm will not be participating in the buzz cut craze. “All buzz cuts are stupid. The bleached ones are even worse.”