Senior Max Rebella recognized by Spectrum News

Max Rebella, a senior at Arrowhead, was featured on Spectrum News in an article and he also had a segment that aired on TV. Rebella does Alpine Skiing and Pole Vaulting while also managing school.

The desire to find success in both academics and athletics. I have some personal drivers that I use to keep pushing when I am up late finishing my homework after a practice and I am questioning it all,” Rebella said. 

According to Spectrum News, the Scholar Athlete Program recognizes high school student athletes who are on at least one varsity sport and have plans to attend a University in the upcoming year. Rebella was nominated because of his dedication to his sports and school but also for his outstanding grades and performance in pole vaulting and Alpine Skiing. Winners get $1,000 to put towards their college expenses. Todd Reineking, a school counselor and ski coach at Arrowhead, nominated Rebella for the scholarship.

Reineking said, “Max’s hard work is culminating into success in two unique sports—pole vaulting and alpine skiing; sports many people do not normally get to see.”

According to Spectrum News, coaches, teachers, administrators, and school counselors are able to nominate a high school senior who meets the criteria. The criteria states that nominators must be U.S. citizens who are at least 18 years old, they must be coaches, teachers, administrators or school officials in Wisconsin. 

Rebella said, “I started playing all the sports from football to basketball to soccer at a young age like kindergarten. I picked up ski racing in fourth grade and started pole vaulting in eighth grade. I didn’t apply for this scholarship, my counselor/ski coach Mr. Reineking applied for it without my knowledge. It also came with a segment that was filmed which was fun because I had never been on TV much before this point.”

Nominees must be high school seniors at public or private high schools, must be involved in varsity athletics, have an excellent academic record, be involved in extracurricular activities, and/or be active in their local community either through their school or volunteering on their own time. Rebella received the prize once the article was published to Spectrum News.

“His dedication to the process of improvement.  Athletes often get stuck at certain developmental levels because they are unable or unwilling to risk change.  Max embraces change and is not afraid to take a step backward in order to go forward,” Reineking said.