Seniors Plan For College

The students in the graduating class of 2023 have differing objectives after graduation including joining the military, starting to work, building a business, and heading to college. 

A study done by EAB states that around 75% of students planned on attending college in 2019, while in 2020 that dropped to 43% according to COE.

Some seniors are still undecided, including senior Ashley Wieland, who says, “I haven’t decided yet but I know I am going to college.”

Many seniors have sent off applications and, in waiting, are finding ways to fill the anxious time. 

Senior Daniel Payne says, “I’ve applied to some but I’m still applying to more.”

There are 85 colleges in Wisconsin, according to Cappex, some of the most popular include the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and Marquette University, to name a few. 

Many students are worried about tuition costs, “I feel I won’t be able to afford to go to college,” Olivia Schmidt says. 

The tuition for the schools mentioned above is $11,000, $10,000, and $63,000 respectively.

Students are also starting to apply for scholarships. The Arrowhead Scholarship Fund has opened for seniors and will close on January 27th at 5:00. Students are asked to fill out forms about volunteering, working, and activities along with writing a short essay and getting teacher recommendations. The scholarship is open to anyone senior who fills it out and the scholarships range from $500 dollars, for generic scholarships like the Arrowhead Scholarship Fund Scholarship, to $1,000 dollars, for more specific scholarships like the Reichl & Kolstad Orthodontics Scholarship.