Students Celebrate National Science Fiction Day

Sci-Fi (Science Fiction) is a genre of movies and books with fiction based on scientific or technological advances, often illustrating space or time travel with life on different planets.

Many popular movies have Sci-Fi genres. Moviefone says the top 10 Sci-Fi movie franchises are (in order of least to greatest) “Alien, Harry Potter, Mad Max, The Lord of the Rings, The Planet of the Apes, Terminator, Back to the Future, Star Trek, The Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Starwars.”

Aiden Costa, an arrowhead sophomore, says, “The best movie I can think of is Interstellar.”

Sci-Fi books are also available for entertainment. Famous Authors say “ Dune by Frank Herbert(#1), Neuromancer by William Gibson(#2), The Time Machine by H.G. Wells(#3), Frankenstein by Mary Shelley(#4), and Hyperion by Dan Simmons(#5)” are the best 5 Sci-Fi books.

Nettie McClutchy, an Arrowhead sophomore, says “I don’t read Sci-Fi. I love Back to the Future, I watch it religiously.” 

Elyse Jungbluth, an Arrowhead sophomore, says “I love 5th wave so much it’s my favorite movie of all time but other than that I don’t really read/ watch a lot of Sci-Fi related things.” 

The Sci-Fi genre was made popular in the 1920s majorly by Hugo Gernsback, an American Author. The Hugo Awards are annual awards granted to Sci-Fi books and films since 1953 by the World Science Fiction Society.

A few of the best novels that received a Hugo award in 2022 were A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine, The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers, and Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki. Dune won the dramatic long form Hugo Award this year.