Students and Teachers Share Christmas Plans

Christmas is coming up on December 25, 2022. With only one more four-day school week left at Arrowhead, students will be on winter vacation for a total of 10 days. This break will be from Friday, December 23, 2022, to Monday, January 2, 2023. 

Avery Kowalewski, an Arrowhead sophomore, says “Gingerbread men” are her favorite Christmas cookies. This type of cookie is usually made with dark brown sugar, molasses, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. The spices in the recipe give the gingerbread the classic flavor profile along with the molasses. The molasses and brown sugar give the cookie color. 

In contrast to Kowalewski, Allison Lucyshyn, an Arrowhead sophomore, says “sugar cookies” are her favorite Christmas cookies. The main ingredients in sugar cookies are butter and sugar. The icing of the cookies is most commonly made of powdered sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla extract. 

Allison Lucyshyn, an Arrowhead sophomore, says “UGGs, a new wristband, and earrings” are the main presents she will be asking for this Christmas. 

Christmas decorations are a common tradition for Christmas, consisting of red, green, and white colors with Santa Claus, candy canes, holly, snow, and more.

Tim Gliniecki, an Arrowhead German and Spanish teacher, says he starts setting up Christmas decorations the “Sunday after Thanksgiving” and he starts taking down the decorations “New Year’s Day.”

Kowalewski says, “Every Christmas eve we go to a family friend’s house and celebrate Christmas with a big group of people.” She also says she spends “Christmas day with my dad’s side of the family and we celebrate Christmas another day with my mom’s side.” 

Gliniecki says he celebrates Christmas with “[his] parents and siblings, and [his] kids and grandkids.”