How Arrowhead students celebrate National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day

Coming exactly a week after Halloween, National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day, a more specific candy holiday, was on Monday, November 7th.  This day is sponsored by the National Confectioners Association to celebrate the combination of chocolate that is both bitter and sweet and almonds.  For more information visit the holiday’s page on “National Today” here

According to ABC7 Chicago, Wisconsin’s most popular candy is the Butterfinger, which combines peanuts and sweet chocolate, leaving room for the question, “What do high school students of National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day?”

Nut rules due to allergies at high school make it difficult to celebrate this nutty day but students have a variety of thoughts on this.

Junior Maggie Jahnke says that she “think[s] Butterfinger is definitely the best” candy and that “Wisconsin people should go against this day” and “riot it.”

“We should change it to Butterfinger Day,” says Jahnke.

However, students’ responses are not all bitter.  The idea of a “Butterfinger Day” has received backlash from Senior Shaylin Stemper.

Stemper says, “I don’t like the state of Wisconsin, so I would throw [a party] as a riot and throw bittersweet chocolate almonds all over the roads.”

For the safety of Hartland residents, it is advised that roads are not covered in Butterfingers in the event that this does happen to prevent injuries related to slipping on said butter.

Amid both bitter and sweet thoughts on this day, Senior Charlie Kubik, who works at the Warhawk Trading Post, the school store, gives his thoughts on this day.

In response to questions if the Warkhawk Trading Post sells bittersweet chocolate with almonds, Kubik says, “we actually do not.”

However, those who enjoy Butterfingers may purchase one at the store, located in the North Campus cafeteria.

“You know now that [National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day] has come to my attention, we should party….big party,” says Kubik.