Students Share Thoughts On Halloween At Arrowhead

2022’s Halloween took place on a Monday, October 31. Arrowhead’s Student Senate posted on their Instagram about dressing up for the holiday, and an email was sent out by Becky Gordon, the North Campus Associate Principal on the 26th reminding students to dress up.

In her email, Gordon reminded students to wear school appropriate costumes. She said hats were allowed if they correlated with the costumes. The only thing that wasn’t allowed were masks and look-alike weapons.

Students such as Kat Grimer, a junior, went as Mavis from Hotel Transylvania. She said she really enjoyed some of the costumes that students chose to wear. 

Grimer said, “I think the best costume I saw was a BeReal costume. They had a mirror attached to them, and everything.”

Other students had opinions about the worst costumes or lack thereof. 

Bryan Gonzales, an Arrowhead senior said, “The worst costumes were the people who didn’t dress up at all.” 

A lack of outreach was what one student said correlated to the minimal participation this year. 

Kaitlyn Hoag, an Arrowhead senior said, “I feel like there was only one email sent out about it, if I didn’t follow the Instagram of Student Senate I would’ve seen no promotion.” 

She said she didn’t see any posters put up throughout the school in order to spread the word. 

Dominic Gambatish, an Arrowhead senior said, “If there were incentives to dress up for Halloween then I feel like it could have made more people dress up and feel the Halloween spirit.”

Unlike whole school incentives, a psychology class offered extra credit for any student who dressed up in a costume, and a larger amount of extra credit if they won the costume contest held in their class.

Halloween costumes are distributed throughout online and many in-person stores but it seems to have a repeating theme of where the most popular place is. Grimer, and Hoag got theirs at Spirit Halloween and Gonzales, and Gambatish used pieces they could find in their home. 

“I feel like it’s more fiscally responsible to use stuff from home then buy a $30 costume from a store,” Gonzales said.