Arrowhead Students Anticipate Halloween

Halloween has been around for 2,000. Halloween has changed over time, depending on the countries and culture. The Celtics believed Halloween was the time that the boundary between the world of the living and the dead would be weakened. The Romans celebrated the holiday to commemorate the dead.  In the 1800s, Halloween was celebrated in American communities with parties, ghost stories, pranks and witchcrafts.

Iris Marett, a sophomore says, “I like trick or treating and I don’t think age really matters as long as you have a nice costume. My favorite Halloween memory is when I was in the third grade, my mom did my makeup, and that was exciting for me because usually only got to wear a costume but no makeup. This year I’m going to take my sister trick or treating and she is going to be a turtle and my dog is going to a taco.”

The trick or treating tradition comes from the Irish tradition of dressing up and going from house to house asking for food and or money.

Ally Stormer, a sophomore says, “My favorite part about Halloween is decorating pumpkins, and going to a costume party.”

The Celtics wore costumes of saints, angles and even devils on the day of their Halloween celebration when they went to a large bonfire and had parades.

Austin Mikula, a junior says, “I have no special plans this Halloween besides trick or treating and eating candy. My favorite Halloween memory is when I was eight, my dad and I were taking a picture and I stabbed him with a light saber.”

Shannon Johnson, a senior says, “I like pumpkin carving, Me and my family always go the barn to get pumpkins. My cousin and I would always ride on a lawn mower to go trick or treating around the neighborhood houses.”

On average, Americans are estimated to spend 6 billion dollars every Halloween.