Arrowhead Experiences a Power Outage


Lisa Jorgensen, Reporter

On Thursday, April 14th, 2022, Arrowhead and surrounding neighborhoods experienced a power outage. The power outage is believed to have started from the high winds blowing a tree over onto a power line that short circuited. 


According to Fox6 News, the high wind advisory was issued for southeastern Wisconsin with 45 – 50 mile per hour wind gusts and 60 mile per hour wind gusts in Milwaukee heading towards Chicago. 


Both campuses were affected by the power outage. The lights flickered in the morning during fourth hour at both campuses and lights went on and off three to four times with some extra time in the dark during tenth hour at North Campus. 


South Campus students were able to finish their day at 2:26 pm unaffected, while North Campus students were dismissed at 2:33 pm instead of 2:36 pm due to the power cutting in and out. 


The only lights on at North Campus while the power was out were the emergency lights. The emergency lights were located all across the building giving students enough light to see the hallways while exiting the building.


Kyle Staus, a senior at Arrowhead, said, “It was completely unexpected and must have caused a lot of chaos, but at least we did not have school on Friday, the following day, and they could take the weekend to figure out their electrical difficulties and have some time to get back in the swing of things before AP tests and finals coming up for the end of this school year.


After school activities were on standby. The activities could still take place if they found something to do with no power or lights.


Arrowhead Stage Crew had scheduled tech work after school from 2:45 to 5:30 pm on Thursday. The power outage prevented using power tools to continue to build the set. The 14 crew kids and three advisors waited for 15 minutes to see if the power would come back on or not. 


The power was still out after 15 minutes, leaving painting in the hallway as the only option. Students that chose to stay, painted crown molding in the hallway using the emergency lights. 


The power came back on at 3:40 pm lighting up the hallways and having everything back to normal across both campuses.