Sophomores and Freshmen Take Aspire Test

The week of Monday April 4th, through Thursday April 7th, sophomores and freshmen participated in the state-wide aspire testing.  Greentestprep.org describes the Aspire test as a test that helps students and parents monitor progress towards a successful ACT score. 

The test assesses five areas that are covered on the ACT test: English, Math, Reading, Science, Writing. On Monday, April 4th, sophomores with the last names beginning with A-K tested, on Tuesday, sophomores with the last name starting with K-Z tested, on Wednesday, freshman with the last name beginning with A-K tested, and on Thursday, freshman with the last name starting with K-Z tested. 

On the days that South campus students were not in person, they were given asynchronous work from their teachers. Last school year, students and teachers had an asynchronous day every other Friday. According to online.osu.edu.com, asynchronous learning days allow students to learn and work at their own pace. On asynchronous day’s, teachers post their lesson plans to Canvas, and students have the entire day(s) to complete their work at their own pace. On asych day, teachers are in school, so if a student needs help, the teachers are available to help at both campuses. 

Sophomore, Emma Verdegan, says that she misses having asynchronous days, and enjoyed having them for almost an entire week. She says, “I learn better in person, but it’s good to have a day to regroup, and get my missing work done, and being able to sleep in is a bonus.” 

Asynchronous days can also have a large benefit to teachers. Async day’s allow teachers to have time to plan lessons, and help students that need it. During a normal school week, there isn’t much time to sit down with a student who is struggling or who is missing work, but async days allow for a lot of time for these students to be helped. 

Math teacher Alicia Obermann says, “Async days allow teachers the flexibility to get caught up or ahead in their planning and scheduling, while students independently work.”