AHS Students Place In Dream Career Essay Contest

AHS students Senior Nathan Goodreau, Junior Marijke de Vries, Junior Anne Bucher, Senior Nina Ashenfelter, and Senior Jack Braunschweig all were selected as winners in Teaching Today’s Wisconsin Dream Career Essay Competition, resulting in money. 

Goodreau wrote about wanting to be an Automotive Service Technician and won $200.

Vries wrote about looking forward to being an architect, earning herself $200.

Bucher sees herself being in the Criminal Justice and Psychology workforce and received an Honorable Mention and $75.

Ashenfelter aspires to be a nurse; she also was named an Honorable Mention, getting $75.

Braunschweig desires to go into the engineering industry receiving $75 by being an honorable mention.

Teaching Today Wisconsin holds this competition yearly from September until January.

In order to enter, students must be attending either a middle school or a high school.

Teaching Today Wisconsin released this statement in their paper: “We would like to say a big hearty thank you to all of the high school and middle school students that shared their Dream Careers with us! Thank you to the teachers who inspire them!”

They then continued: “Choosing the Winning and Honorable Mention entries is always a very difficult task. Some entries bring a laugh, a smile, and even a tear. What has really stood out has been the passion, sincerity, and heart that is present in the words from so many of these young people.”

Students worked on these essays in Elizabeth Jorgensen’s creative writing class. “I’m so proud of all of my students,” she said. “Congratulations to the published and award-winning authors. This is a tremendous honor and one I am so pleased my students earned. I hope each student continues to write and share their voices with the world.”

Vries’ essay can be found on the paper on page 11. Paragraph 1 is posted below:

“​​With my family constantly asking ‘What are you going to do in your future, you’re a junior, you have to start thinking about it,’ all I had in mind was to finish high school without failing any classes. I have always been a hands-on learner not only in school but outside of school, with my dad building beds, shelves, chairs, benches, it has always interested me. I would not have found my dream job of being an architect if it wasn’t for my dad…”