Arrowhead Implements New Hallway Pass System

This year, Arrowhead implemented a new hallway pass system. In the past, students used to just ask their teachers if they could leave without signing out of taking a pass. This year, students have to sign out each time they leave to go somewhere, even if it is to get a drink of water. This process requires students to write their name and the time on a clipboard.  Students also must take a pass along with them so staff members are aware that they are allowed to be in the halls.

Each teacher has his or her own clipboard and pass. Each teacher provides a different pass, ranging from laminated forms, to a computer mouse and to press passes.

Sophomore, Olivia Aita said, ”I don’t find it more helpful because I don’t see the concern with always having to know where we are and the exact times. It just seems inaccurate.”

Associate Principal Pete Nejedlo says this new hallway system is being used to minimize the amount of students in the halls. It is also used so teachers and other staff members know which students are allowed to be in the halls.

“If I could change something about the system I would just have them put more hallway monitors if they are so concerned,” said Aita.

Nejedlo also said, this hallway system was created so there’d be less wandering in the halls and little to no interruptions to classes.

“It was implemented so that we make sure kids go to their locker, bathroom, office, or whatever business they need to take care of and then get back to class, rather than having two or three kids go together just to screw around,” said Nejedlo.

Nejedlo says Arrowhead hopes this system will work well this year and for many years to come.

“I feel like there’s a lot less people wandering in the hallway,” said sophomore, Morgan Gintert. “It seems like there’s a lot less fooling around compared to last year since you’re required to write the time you left and the time you returned.”