Uniforms Put Individualism to a Halt

Arrowhead students currently have a dress code to follow. Arrowhead’s dress code states no inappropriate clothing, which includes short shorts, tank tops, halter tops, beach wear, saggy pants, designs representing drugs or sex, etc.

School uniforms are a controversial issue brought to students’ attention on a regular basis. Should students at AHS have to wear uniforms at school to eliminate the possible distractions from apparel in classes?

Arrowhead senior, Rebecca Frazier said, “Yes, we should wear uniforms because everyone can be the same.”

Substitute teacher Jake Jochem said, “I think Arrowhead’s dress code is fine. I don’t think the problem is distracting clothing. I think the problem is the lack of focus in the classroom. It is the teacher’s job to have the students stay engaged for the period.”

Arrowhead Senior Megan Lipke said, “I think it is a big deal for some students to be able to show off what they have. By forcing uniforms, it could have an affect of making those individuals feel self-conscious.”

Uniforms can eliminate social status. Lynn Walters, who is a teacher in the social studies department said, “I can go both ways on this. I do think it would eliminate the social status that I can see in my classes or even walking down the hallway. But, I think it’s important for students to express themselves while at school. Aside from decorating their binders or notebooks, they’re able to do this through their clothing.”

Although Walters could go both ways for student uniforms, she was quick to respond when teacher uniforms were suggested. “No! Many of the teachers are fairly dressed,” said Walters.

“Fairly dressed” is based on opinion and can mean different things to different people. “Fairly” dressed teachers can be a distraction to some. Jochem said, “I think teachers would be positive role models if they were to wear the uniforms as well.”

Lipke said, “I don’t want to name any teachers but some of their outfits are quite out there and distracting. If students were to wear uniforms I think it would only be fair if teachers were to as well.”