New Teacher Starts Job on the Second Day of School

September 13, 2021, marked the second day of Arrowhead High School’s 2021-22 school year, and Nicole Kerr’s first day teaching biology. Former Arrowhead teacher Ms. Koch abruptly quit after the first day, and Kerr was there to take the position.

Kerr has taught all around the country, including New Orleans, Denver, and the Milwaukee area.  She expressed that she is “bringing a fun lab, leson, or activity from each of the high schools where (she’s) taught.”  She has taught other science courses, including chemistry, physical science, astronomy, meteorology, earth science, and geology.

She believes that having these positions, all across the country, with all different types of people (colleagues and students alike) has made her a better teacher and improved the way she teaches and connects with her students.  

According to Kerr, the science department has been very helpful in helping her get acclimated to her new position after starting so suddenly. She uses her teaching experience to guide her as well as learn from those around her.

Kerr has not been a teacher for her entire adult life; she had been a stay-at-home mom for a few years and expressed that she took this new position fairly last-minute.  

Kerr also welcomed the new year (and her new students) with a positive attitude and feeling about this year. She said, “I look forward to a great semester at Arrowhead!”