Should There Still be Snow Days? – Morgan Reed, Senior

Ever since the Corona Virus started and students began learning virtually, students and teachers have begun to think about the future. “Will we always have the option to learn online?” “Will we still have days off?” “What about snow days?” These are often questions that come up in classroom conversations nowadays. But truth be told, nobody knows.

According to the article by John Otis, classrooms throughout New York and Philadelphia have already started to eliminate snow days. It is honestly sad. I will never forget the nights when I went to bed hoping for my mom to walk in my room the next morning to tell me that we had a snow day and that I could stay in bed. I would stay in bed just to wake up hours later to watch tv. Later on, the phone would ring from neighbors and parents asking if I could go play in the snow with their kids. From sledding, ice skating, and building snowmen to snuggling up on the couch with blankets and hot cocoa, it was always an exciting time.

We should not remove snow days just because we have the sudden ability to learn virtually. Although a lot of people think snow days are a waste of time and often cause extreme delays in schoolwork, snow days have many benefits to both kids and teachers.

Snow days allow for students and teachers to sleep in. As many of us know, it is recommended that students get between eight to ten hours of sleep per night, depending on their age. But, unfortunately, not many students meet that recommendation. As kids, we are very busy. We often have school, homework, after school activities, work, and so much more. It is rare for us kids to get enough sleep each night. By implementing a snow day, kids have the opportunity to sleep in and catch up on their rest. The same goes to be said for teachers.

Snow days also provide mental health days. It is not often that students and teachers get a break from their chaotic lives, but when they do, it is often beneficial. Having snow days lets students and teachers slow down and enjoy the day. For instance, kids can set aside their duties and go outside, enjoy the fresh air, and play in the snowy weather.

Another benefit to snow days is the ability for students and teachers to get caught up. With such busy lives, it is easy for both students and teachers to get behind. Students can work on missing or late assignments and teachers can work on grading and planning.

Truth is, snow days are beneficial for everyone. We have been having snow days for years, why would we take them away because we just now realized the amount of access we really have to the internet? One or two snow days never hurt anyone.