Post-Arrowhead Plans Disrupted by Covid-19

Senior year is a time of change.  This year, twelfth grade students face an unforeseen challenge: Covid-19.  Post-high school plans are at the forefront of any senior’s mind.  The impacts of coronavirus have only added another layer to the issue.  Now, students must consider the pandemic when choosing if they will attend postsecondary school, join the workforce, or take a different path.

Senior Abby Dambeck says, “I was going to attend a four year college, but with the unprecedented and crazy times, I decided WCTC (Waukesha County Technical College) would be the best place for me.  I’m excited to get started with my education and be able to get right into a graphic design job.”

Applications to WCTC opened on October 1st for district residents who plan on enrolling for the Fall 2021 semester.  Deadlines vary by program and can be accessed through the college’s website.  WCTC offers students associate degrees, technical diplomas, apprenticeships, and certificates.

Senior Haley Hazod says, “I plan on going out of state if the issue is resolved and I can be in person, but if it’s not, I’ll stay around home and do a semester in Wisconsin to save money.”

Instead of attending the University of Arizona or Flagler University in Florida, Hazod plans to study at Carthage College in Kenosha.  While the tuition is higher due to its status as a private school, Hazod hopes to receive more financial aid from Carthage than the other universities.

Caroline McCance, a senior, was accepted into Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana.  She is apprehensive about visiting campus during the pandemic, but wants to see the school in person before making a final decision.  

“I would like to visit over break with my dad, but the drive is almost sixteen hours,” says McCance.  “Flying would be the best option, but I’m not sure I want to be on a plane right now. Still, I don’t want to miss out on the honors scholars program and my scholarship offer.”

The Center for Disease Control recommends travellers wear masks, wash hands frequently, and get tested prior to travelling if necessary.  However, the CDC says, “Travel may increase your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. Postponing travel and staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.”

No matter the location or type of college, administrators are advised to take precautions.  The CDC government website says, “Most importantly, IHE [institutions of higher education] administrators need to plan and prepare for reopening or keeping IHEs open. Regardless of the number of current cases in a community, every IHE should have a plan in place to protect staff and students from the spread of COVID-19.”