Arrowhead Students Vote in Presidential and Mock Election

The 2020 election commenced and people of all ages and parties flocked to the polls and postal offices to cast their ballot. Voting began at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, November 3rd, and closed at 8 p.m. in Wisconsin.

Arguably the most crucial election in American history, both party candidates have sparked conversation among the younger voters, getting them out to the polls early. Students at Arrowhead who are able to vote say that this wasn’t how they anticipated their first time voting. 

Lily Gerbitz, a student who turned eighteen in July, says, “I expected it to be a bit more crowded and I don’t know, I guess more strict, but it wasn’t.”

The conversations around the election and candidates aren’t just among eligible voters. Students from the younger generation have educated themselves and been in on discussions about the changing politics and their rights. Arrowhead has even created its own mock election.

The Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society at Arrowhead created a mock election via Google Forms that was sent out to all students of the high school. In the forms, students selected which candidate for presidency they preferred, or who they would’ve voted for if they were underage. The poll was anonymous.

On October 4th the mock election results were broadcasted over the morning announcements. Rho Kappa members reported to the students that Trump and Pence won the school’s mock election.

Results from the real election were still pending, however, Biden was ahead in the electoral votes and popular vote. 

On November 7th, Pennsylvania and Nevada finished counting their ballots and it was declared Biden won the election with 290 electoral votes and Trump with 214 electoral votes.