Author Liza Weimer Visits Arrowhead Virtually

Arrowhead students had the opportunity to workshop with published author Liza Weimer during their English classes. Weimer, who has published two young adult fiction novels and adult nonfiction, presented to students in Creative Writing and Composition classes on October 12th and 13th.  

The meetings were set up via Zoom by English teacher Terri Carnell.  Carnell worked with Boswell Books and Books & Company to organize the events.

Weimer first presented at Arrowhead after being invited by English teacher Liz Munkwitz five years ago.  At that time, she discussed her recently published novel, Hello?, and her writing process.  Ever since, Weimer has workshopped with Arrowhead students annually.  This year, the pandemic prevented her from appearing in person, but she was still able to present remotely and answer questions.

“It was interesting to see the process and steps in which she took in order to write her last book,” said senior Max Morgan.  “Further, it was great to hear from a published author about how she got into writing and why she loves it.”

Weimer’s 2020 fiction novel The Assignment follows two teenagers who stand up to their high school administration by refusing to participate in an anti-semitic assignment.  The author shared her inspiration to students during her virtual visits.  

Junior Lindsay Martin said, “She wanted to take this time to continue spreading her message through her last novel by promoting it and interacting with younger readers.  This reminded me of the importance of finding a purpose with your work, and sticking to it.  One of the most admirable attributes a writer can have is confidence in their message, and I think a lot of us could learn from her.”

Other students said that they gained a new perspective from Weimer’s visit.  Junior Lauren Martin said, The way she used her hardships to further her work ethic helped me learn that I can do the same thing with things I have been through.”

Students expressed their gratitude for Weimer’s visit by sending her thank you cards.  Many wrote that they wanted to stay in touch.

Carnell said, “The students have gained a friend, a confidant, and an author’s perspective.  Liza has stayed in touch with many of my students over the years.  She has an energy and honesty that connects with people.  She has commented on their college essays, written correspondence back and forth when they are struggling at home and at school, and she has provided feedback on some of the novels, stories, and poems that they are currently working on.”

Students interested in reading her novel The Assignment had access to discounted copies through bookseller Books & Company here.