Heidi Hamilton Shares Why She Became a Teacher

Heidi+Hamilton

Heidi Hamilton

Arrowhead teacher, Heidi Hamilton, has been a teacher at Arrowhead for 26 years.

She is a Special Education teacher in the Learning Center. Hamilton also co-teaches Creative Writing, with Elizabeth Jorgensen, and supports Craig Haase in American Problems.

Hamilton didn’t always think about becoming a teacher, she originally wanted to become a sportscaster for one of Milwaukee’s local stations. However, after graduating from the University of Notre Dame with a degree in American Studies and a minor in Business, she quickly changed her mind. She returned home to Milwaukee and decided to move a different direction and to become a teacher.

Once Hamilton searched her heart, she immediately knew what her future career would be.

Hamilton said, “My brother, Frank, inspired me to become a special education teacher.  He has special needs and while growing up he was constantly bullied. There were few post-secondary opportunities for him when he left high school and I wanted to help students with special needs find educational assistance for post-secondary options once they graduated high school.”

She went back to school and attended the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for a year and a half and received her certification to teach students with special needs.

Hamilton said she has always known she wanted to become a teacher at some point of her life and this became apparent after she graduated college. She also enjoyed coaching which, according to her, go hand in hand.

She said, “[I] wanted to be able to empower and teach youth to get them ready for the real world.”

She said her favorite part of teaching is, “the rapport you build with students and the impact you have on their lives.”

Along with co-teaching classes, Hamilton attends department meetings, community meetings, provides supporting resources for students with special needs and plans student workshops to help students transition into adulthood.

Hamilton says there’s no typical day. With a caseload of 21 students, she says there is alway a new situation going on everyday.

“Each day presents a new challenge or experience. Being an advocate for my students’ needs is what is most important,” she says.

Hamilton said her high school English teacher at Pius XI High School, Mrs. Cerminaro, “made a significant impact on my life. She believed in me, and gave me confidence and courage  I needed to succeed in school. She is now the dean of students at Marquette University High School… made such an impact on my life that I’ll never forget.”

“I am proud to be a teacher at Arrowhead and have loved my 26 years here and there is no other school that I’d rather be at,” says Hamilton.