Arrowhead Students Decide to Take a Break From New Year’s Resolutions

With the beginning of the New Year, many have made promises to themselves to make 2019 their best yet.

Every January 1st, millions of people make a resolution for the upcoming year. While the old Babylonian tradition of paying off debts is no longer the typical New Year’s resolution, the concept of starting fresh has remained.

Common resolutions may include working out more, eating healthier, saving more money, donating to charities, and other adjustments to better life.

However, many Arrowhead students have expressed their displeasure with the age-old tradition.

Pj Duimstra, a junior a Arrowhead, says while he understands the tradition of making New Year’s resolutions, he doesn’t see a point in actually making one. He believes if a person really wanted to make a change, they could make it at any point during the year. He believes people shouldn’t wait for the New Year to come.

Duimstra says, “I don’t think [New Year’s resolutions]are realistic. If you want to do it, you should just do it. You shouldn’t have to use New Year’s as a motivator.”

Another junior at Arrowhead, Nolan Burkard, also has a bone to pick with the tradition. He says he has always believed people tend to make New Year’s resolutions, but never actually commit to the desired change.

Burkard says, “You can make New Year’s resolutions if you want, but I feel like no one ever really follows through with them.”

Despite his apparent acceptance with the tradition, Burkard had a change of heart mid conversation, “You know what, don’t do them. Because then you won’t not do them.”

A fellow student, Lily Stemper, says she believes New Year’s resolutions aren’t all they are hyped up to be. However, unlike Duimstra and Burkard, her main argument wasn’t with the tradition itself, but rather the timing of Arrowhead’s second semester.

Stemper says, “I think it’s dumb that finals are after New Year’s. Because you always want your New Year’s resolution to be about getting better grades. You can’t really do that when finals are here.”

While Arrowhead students are choosing not to participate in making New Year’s resolutions, many of them still want to make a meaningful change.

Stemper says, “I believe we naturally make improvements when the time is right. We shouldn’t try to force it. You don’t need a new year to work on the new you.”