Arrowhead Staff Reviews, Connects with Students Flagged in Mental Health Survey

On Wednesday, October 13th, all Arrowhead students (except for those who were opted out by their parents) participated in a mental wellness survey. The survey consisted of questions regarding the student’s emotions and mental health. The survey results were analyzed by Arrowhead staff.

In an email sent to Arrowhead faculty, Adam Boldt, Director of Student Services, says, “238 students [were] flagged as elevated or very elevated and met with our counselors and psychologists to further discuss their feelings.”

Families of students flagged were notified, and of them, “28%…did not know that their child was experiencing such difficulties,” says Boldt.

Boldt says, “As for the other 72%, families knew about their child’s feelings but many had not notified school, they felt positive that their was now an established dialogue about these feelings with school professionals.”

Boldt and other staff members felt that by “establish[ing] early relationships with students,” students were provided a outlet incase “symptoms arise or worsen throughout the year”.

Many students enjoyed the homeroom, such as sophomore Kylee Manser. She says, “I like my teacher, and I think the survey could have some really positive effects if someone is struggling and feels like no one’s there for them. I think the school should continue to provide services like this to students.”

As for the students that were opted out, Boldt says about half of those students were already receiving treatment for mental health related symptoms.

That number combined with the number of students flagged results in 338 students at Arrowhead experiencing some symptoms of mental illness. This number “equates to roughly 15.7% of the [Arrowhead] population,” says Boldt.

For students who may be experiencing challenges with their mental state, Thomas Stuber, a counselor at Arrowhead, says this: “Reaching out and talking to someone about your mental health challenges is one of the most important steps you can take.  Many students lean on friends, teachers, and family members to talk through their problems, which is great.  Students are also encouraged to get to know their school counselor or school psychologist (in the counseling offices at both campuses).”

“The best time for students to meet with their counselor is during study hall. Just sign out of study hall and go to the counseling office and ask to speak with your counselor.  We also have the Peers4Peers Program at Arrowhead.  The Peers4Peers program connects students who want to talk with peers that are trained in helping others talk through problems.  If you would like to connect with a “Peer”, sign out of study hall, go to the counseling office and ask to speak with a “Peer”,” Stuber says.