Run, Hide, Fight Presentation Given to Students

Arrowhead High School staff members, in homerooms, presented a video about this specific phrase to the entire school on April 14th, 2018.

The video displayed in class was presented over Arrowhead’s projector system, and went through detailed steps in the case an active shooter may be within the school.

The video explains to students and teachers that the first step is to put their hands on top their head and run if available to a nearby exit. Putting hands up signifies to law enforcement that you are unarmed. If students and teachers are unable to run, they should find a hiding place far from a window and keep quiet so the intruder believes no one is in the room. In the case where an active shooter finds where students and teachers are located, Homeland Security says to fight with whatever materials that are accessible,  hot coffee, a ruler, or pens.

According to CNN, in 2018, the United States experienced 20 school shootings that have resulted in fatality or injured people. Many US citizens have protested in order to change gun control.

The US Department of Homeland Security recently advised schools around the nation to follow Run Hide Fight in case a school shooting were to ever occur. The phrase provides steps to protect yourself and others.

Some students at Arrowhead High School were not satisfied with the in classroom presentation saying it was a waste of their time.

Jeff Mason, a junior at Arrowhead High School said, “For myself personally, I think that the presentation and the time we spent was a waste simply because it is common sense to do all. I can appreciate the effort Arrowhead is making to keep students safe and knowledgeable, but those three steps are no more than human instinct.”

Christian Peterson, a junior at Arrowhead says, “I thought the Run, Fight, Hide, presentation was an utter waste of time and should not be made available in coming years. The generation this has been targeted for has seen many tragedies in their short lives and by now most know how to react to such a crisis. The older generations, the ones that drag our country into pointless wars and battles that result in deaths that aren’t necessary, need to understand that they are the reason that we are so involved in the violence of today’s world. Today’s media also introduces violence to children at a young age and many are already familiar with death and what to do if their life is threatened.”

However, other students found the video and conversation to be beneficial to themselves and towards the whole student body.

Cami Senske, a junior says, “I thought the Run, Hide, Fight presentation was beneficial because people should know what to do in the worst case scenario, and this presentation helped get a plan of action so that everyone knows how to deal with it if the situation ever arises.”