Arrowhead Students Chime in About Walking Out

Max Gebhard, Reporter

On March 14th, a month after the South Florida shooting, a walkout is being planned by Women’s March organizers to protest inaction from lawmakers on gun-control legislation. Students that want to participate from every school nationwide will leave their classroom and go outside at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes, one for each person that died.

“I want to participate without getting in trouble,” said Arrowhead senior Kylie Ballmann.

“Nothing will change,” said Arrowhead senior Lucas Cerny.

“This will be a powerful message,” said Arrowhead senior Matthew Cochrane.

On April 20th, another walkout has been planned by Lane Murdock, a high school student from Connecticut. It will mark the 19th year since Columbine. More than 22,000 people have signed a petition, pledging to walkout of their classrooms that day at 10 a.m. for the rest of the day.

“A solid reminder for the NRA,” said Cochrane.

“This won’t change anything either,” said Cerny.

“I don’t know about leaving for the rest of the day,” said Ballmann.

“I will definitely be a part of this,” said Attwell.

These walkouts are happening nationwide. Numerous have already occurred in the South Florida area as well as other states. Each one is to protect weak gun-control laws that are in place, because Cruz in Parkland legally owned an AR-15 style weapon despite being a juvenile.

1 Comment

One Response to “Arrowhead Students Chime in About Walking Out”

1. John Jiler on December 6th, 2018 9:00 PM

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear High School Journalist;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide lawless and violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*