Students Dive into Second Semester

Arrowhead juniors work on homework in the junior study hall room.

As Arrowhead’s first semester comes to a close, students gear up for their next semester of school. Some kids are excited for the change while others are unhappy with their new schedules.

On the windows into North Campus’ guidance office, there are signs posted saying that students are not allowed to switch lunch periods. Junior Martha Kobiske says she has heard mumblings from students who are unhappy with this.

“I guess it’s just because they probably have friends in the other lunch period,” says Kobiske. “A couple of my friends switched lunch periods, which sucks, but it is what it is. I guess it would also be rough to make schedule adjustments according to what lunch period the student already has.”

Arrowhead Junior Hunter Hickling says there have been lines of kids outside the guidance office some mornings.

“There always is,” says Hickling. “There’s always at least a few kids who think their schedule sucks and want to change it. This year the lines have been shorter, though, so I guess most people are pretty satisfied.”

All schedule changes had to be made during the first week of second semester, so as of February 2, students can no longer make changes to their schedules.

Kobiske says she only has one issue with her schedule, and that is the satellite study hall she was placed into. A satellite study is a study hall, where the student reports to a separate classroom rather than the large study hall rooms.

For her satellite study hall, Kobiske goes to room N160 during second hour on A days. On B days, she still goes to the regular study hall rooms during second period.

“I’m not getting anything out of it, and I’d much rather be in the bigger rooms for study hall. That way I can go to the library or the coffee shop if I want to. In my room, I’m not allowed to,” says Kobiske.

Though she has tried, guidance won’t let Kobiske switch out of her satellite study hall back into the bigger one.

Hickling says the biggest issue he’s had transitioning into second semester is the new wifi filter the school implemented, Securly.

“I’ve noticed a bunch of people having trouble with the internet now. I downloaded the certificate last semester, but it still hasn’t been working very well. It’s just kind of annoying because I need the internet for a bunch of my classes, and it’s not my fault I can’t access it,” says Hickling.

There are tips posted around North and South Campuses for students who are having troubles with Securly. If this advice is ineffective, students should take their laptops to the library for assistance.

Otherwise, Hickling says he’s happy with how his schedule turned out, and he is looking forward to his new electives.

Kobiske says her transition into second semester has been smooth, other than the small issue she has with her satellite study hall.

“I think it’s going to be a good semester. Once I figured out where all my classrooms are, it wasn’t really stressful, and I don’t think I have anything to worry about,” says Kobiske.