A Night to Shine and Have Fun

A picture taken of the Arrowhead students at last year’s A Night to Shine event, at YMCA at Pabst Farms.

A Night to Shine, a dance for kids with disabilities, is put on by the Bethesda Lutheran Communities. Bethesda Lutheran Communities is a “Christian organization that provides homes and services to people with developmental disabilities all across the country,” according to their website.

The dance will take place at the YMCA at Pabst Farms gym on February 9th, from 7:00pm -10:00pm, according to the YMCA website.

People from around the community can help at this event, and about 40-50 Arrowhead Key Club student members have signed up to be apart of this special night, according to the Key Club sign up sheet.

“Walk the red carpet, enjoy royal treatment, and dance the night away,” the website says.

The Bethesda Lutheran Communities’ site says that the students will be welcomed with paparazzi, be driven in limousines, pampered by hair and salon stations and shoe shining areas, and of course, will be able to dance their hearts out on the dance floor.

AHS Key Club members were trained by Bethesda staff on Thursday, January 18th, on what to expect the night of the dance, how to dress, and how to act appropriately.

BLC holds this dance for kids with disabilities,14 or older, so that they can have an incredible prom night experience, that they might have never had if there was not A Night to Shine.

They center the dance around God’s love, and how each of them is cherished and loved by God. Their mission is to “enhance the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities through services that share the good news of Jesus Christ,” according to their Night to Shine Training Guide.

For more information, someone interested in volunteering at A Night to Shine, can look on the YMCA website, under “A Night To Shine,” or talk to Kevin Lewandowski, AHS psychologist and Key Club advisor.