New Courses Available At AHS For 2018-2019

New courses will be available in 2018

New courses will be available in 2018

In 2018, there will be 4 new courses available at Arrowhead. According to an email sent to staff by AHS Director of Learning Sue Casetta, the courses will be Computer Science Methods, AP Computer Science A, EMT Certification, and Coaching and Officiating.

Casetta says that coding is an important skill, on the same grounds as reading and writing. The two Computer Science classes will provide students with specific programming knowledge along with problem solving skills.

Computer Science Methods will be an introductory class based on the conceptual ideas of computing. It will also help students understand how computing skills can be used to solve real world problems. The students will start out learning concepts like memory usage, decision structures, looping, and objects in a drag and drop programming language but eventually the students will move on and learn a text based language.

AP Computer Science will be a college level computer science course. It will focus on problem solving skills and programming techniques. Students will use the Java programming language to design and evaluate programs that feature things like decision structures, looping, data structures, Java library classes, and object interaction. Broad Computer Science topics will be covered, like the ethical and social overtones of computer use.

EMT Certification is for senior students only and it will be a one year Emergency Medical Technician training program hosted by Lake Country Fire and Rescue. The class will meet there on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:45 PM to 2:45 PM. Students will learn basic skills regarding the management and transportation of critical patients.

Coaching and Officiating is for students who have an interest in sports and want to expand their problem solving and communication skills. The course focuses on the motivation and rewards of coaching along with a focus on officiating and personal wellness. The course could lead to gaining the American Sport Education Program certification, which allows non-licensed teachers to coach at the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association.