35 Min Lunch Causes Students to Rush

AHS student struggling to finish her meal in time.

“Sometimes 35 minutes just isn’t enough time to eat and I feel really rushed,” Peterson said.

AHS senior Megan Peterson said 35 minutes may seem like a good amount of time to eat lunch but in reality it really flies by fast.

Peterson says, “With lunch being our only true break of the school day where no work is mandatory, we should be able to have a longer break than just 35 minutes. I would say 45 to 50 mins would seem realistic.”

“Sometimes students have to stay after class late to finish a test so by the time they come down to the lunch room and sit down to eat there is only 15 minutes left to eat,” said Peterson.

Peterson says that it is ridiculous how long the lunch line can get. And waiting in line can take up a good chunk of you lunch too.  

“I think that most kids don’t take hot lunch because of how long the line can be. After waiting in line for so long it is just inconvenient and takes way too long. Then it caused students to get angry,” Peterson said.

Peterson said that with having lunch for such a short period of time it causes students to have problems. She also said that with making lunch periods longer it can resolve the problem.

Senior AHS student Kylie Ballmann says she has a different perspective.

“I think that lunch is fine the way that it is. Sometimes I even think it could be shorter,” Ballmann said.

Ballmann says she has never had a problem with not having enough time to eat her lunch.

Ballmann says, “I understand why people would get mad and think that lunch isn’t enough time but in all honesty it is because people talk more than they eat. It wouldn’t be a problem if they ate and then talked.”

Ballmann said, “People also use their time doing homework rather than eating which isn’t bad but then when it comes time to eat, lunch is almost over then they complain.”  

Ballmann says people do it to themselves when they don’t have enough time to eat.  

Ballmann says, “I have hot lunch and cold lunch and I have never had a problem. I always talk at lunch and sometimes I do my homework too. I plan ahead of lunch and I get everything done.”

Ballmann said, “you just have to chose you time wisely or plan ahead of time and there will be no problem.”