Arrowhead Students Speak Out About Suicide Prevention Month

Suicide is Preventable

Every year, mental health organizations and individuals across the U.S. and around the world raise awareness of suicide prevention during September, National Suicide Prevention Month.  During this month, Organizations such as the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) and World Health Organization (WHO) play a key role in spreading the word with those who suffer from mental illnesses associated with suicide, as well as suicide prevention.

According to the World Health Organization, nearly 3,000 people on average commit suicide daily. For every person who completes a suicide, 20 or more may attempt to end their lives. About one million people die by suicide each year. There is strong evidence indicating that adequate prevention can reduce suicide rates.

“It’s astonishing how often we see people ending their lives. The statistics are far higher than they should ever be. No one should feel as though suicide is the only option,” Jack Bohnsack, a senior says.

Worldwide Suicide Prevention Day aims their main focus on the high school youth, seeing that in statistics researchers have found that a substantial increase in suicides among high school girls and boys throughout the U.S. from 1975 to 2015.

The National Suicide Prevention Month gives students the opportunity to become aware that suicide is preventable, educate young teenagers about suicide, and the cause and effect relationships that come with it, and teach them to spread information about suicide awareness, from friend to friend.

“I think that more people need to be aware of the impact suicide has on our society. This month is about spreading awareness, so students around Arrowhead can recognize the issue and watch for signs. A key role in preventing suicides in our community is to be aware of others emotions. Pay attention to their body language and what they say. We need to be a guide to others,” Morgan Kremer, a senior at Arrowhead High School says.