Arrowhead Cell Phone Policy: Too Strict or Long Overdue?

Students spending their free time in senior study hall to use their phones.

When a visitor to Arrowhead peeps into any South or North campus classroom, they may be surprised to notice there are no students on their phones. That is because starting this school year, the teachers of Arrowhead decided to enforce a new cell phone policy: students are not allowed to have their phones out in class.

The policy states: cell phone use is prohibited in the class at all times. When you enter the classroom, please silence your phone and put it in your backpack. The first offense is a verbal warning. The phone will be turned into the office and you can retrieve it at the end of the day after a second offense. Your phone will have to be picked up by a guardian after the third offense. All offenses will be entered into Skyward and therefore become part of your permanent disciplinary record.

Many students at Arrowhead are upset about this new policy and wish it would be less strict.

AHS senior John Doleschy says, “The policy is way too strict. If I want to use my phone, I should be able to. If I’m choosing to go on my phone instead of focus on schoolwork then that will negatively affect me, not my teacher. I’m practically an adult, I don’t need someone else telling when I can and when I can’t use my phone.”

Another AHS senior, Marissa Bloomer, says, “Not having my phone takes my mind off of my school work. I am used to having it always on me, so when it’s not, I am unable to focus on anything other than if someone is trying to reach me or if some kind of emergency involving someone close to me has happened.”

While many students disagree with the enforcement of personal device usage, many teachers think that it will only make the classroom a more productive workplace.

AP Macroeconomics teacher Joseph Paul says, “I think the policy is too lenient. I would like to see phones kept in their [the student’s] locker at all times. Time and brainpower are scarce resources. With the phones removed, more of both can be devoted to the subject matter.”

Math teacher Rick Witte said, “In order for the classroom to be productive, our minds need to be present. Because so many people are addicted to their phones, it is best to have them off the body.”

“I understand that having my cell phone off my body might make me more productive in class, but I don’t need teachers controlling my every move,” says Doleschy.