Arrowhead Students Fidget With Their Fidget Spinners

Fidget spinners, also known as hand spinners, are small toys made of plastic or metal, and have a bearing in the middle to help spin the outside weights. According to Diane Lore, “Fidget spinners have been gaining a lot of attention because kids like to try tricks with them or just use them for focusing.” Fidget spinners are available in gas stations, online, and pretty much any general store. They range from five dollars to 200 dollars.

Andrea Dahlman said “fidget spinners are driving teachers crazy because they are distracting students in the class.” Brenna Hammen, a sophomore at Arrowhead said her spinner taken in class and it was sent to the office.

According to http://www.silive.com/news/2017/05/should_fidget_spinners_be_bann.html, “teachers in suburban districts have decided to resolve the probmelm by restricting the toys during class time, while a few schools have banned them altogether during the school day.” The site also states that “other educators believe the spinners can be beneficial by calming students with ADHD or autism, and therefore are reluctant to place restrictions on the toy.”

Evan Marsh, a sophomore at Arrowhead says, “Fidget spinners are annoying. All these students are playing around with them and it is distracting me from learning in the class. I don’t see the point in spinning these pointless toys. People say that fidget spinners are helpful for kids to focus, but how are they going to focus on school when they are focusing on the next cool trick they learned with their fidget spinner.”

Jack Baumann, a freshman at Arrowhead says, “I like fidget spinners. I agree that they don’t help me or most focus on school. But they are fun. When i’m sitting in school and i’m bored, fidget spinning is a great way to help the time pass by. It’s fun to learn more tricks and new ways to use my fidget.”

Andrea Dahlman, a librarian at South Campus says, “I don’t like fidget spinners. I don’t see how it helps the students in any way. I think it’s a total distraction and the kids don’t need this stupid toy to focus. It disrupts the peace in the library and is completely irrelevant to school. I don’t think it helps students with ADD or ADHD, but I’m no psychologist.”