Students Prepare For Final Exams

Final exams take place Wednesday the seventh through Friday the ninth at Arrowhead High School.

“Why take an exam that will only hurt our grade unless we get an almost perfect score?” says Tyler Gouin, an Arrowhead sophomore.

According to debate.org “Exams help assess a child’s skills and progress, and to prepare children for the pressure of universities, and future life.” The website also says that “exams develop the feeling of competition among the students. They increase the level of knowledge of the student. Without exams the student would feel himself as an independent student and work no hard for studies.”

debate.org also says that “exams do not properly represent a student’s ability or knowledge in a subject, no matter whether their grade is good or bad. It’s not a matter of just carrying on with the system of examination that we follow and will sadly probably follow for the next few years.” The source also states that “exams do not provide a well-rounded evaluation of someone’s ability. While they do test a student and give them a goal to work towards, the fact that the goal is minuscule in size and they only have one football to shoot at it with or their career is over, means that more people are judged on a piece of paper rather than their actual performance.”

How do Arrowhead students feel about exams? Joey Robbins, a sophomore at Arrowhead says, “I don’t like exams at all. All they do is hurt my grade unless I get an insanely good grade on my exam. All exams are are memorization and stuff that we learned months ago that no one can remember. Take months of learning and multiply that by several classes, it’s an equation for disaster. I think we need to change the way schools evaluate a student’s progress.”

Emma Quinn, a sophomore at Arrowhead says, “I like exams. Maybe because i’m good at memorizing, but if I just put my mind to it, I can remember and relearn all of the things I learned in class. It can be really challenging at times, but I get through it. I do understand why other kids don’t like exams. I see where they are coming from and maybe the school should change the way they evaluate us.”

Exams can be stressful and hard, some students are preparing and trying to get ready for these last few days.