Arrowhead Student Coordinates Eagle Scout Project at Divine Redeemer

Derek Luetke (left) helps direct fellow scout, Dylan Niermeyer, how to properly drill.

As part of many requirements in obtaining Eagle Scout, the highest rank in the Boy Scouts of America, Boy Scouts must complete a project that benefits the community. Arrowhead High School sophomore, Derek Luetke, is one scout looking to achieve Eagle, and to gain the leadership skills that come with it.

Luetke took part in carrying out his Eagle Scout project on Saturday, September 10th and 24th at Divine Redeemer Lutheran Church. There, Luetke lead a group of his fellow scouts, adult leaders, and relatives, in building a200 foot fence stretching around a playground for the daycare children.

On August 31st, Luetke and his Boy Scout troop, Troop 24, fundraised for the Eagle Scout project by selling food at the Brat Shack in front of the Hartland Piggly Wiggly. They fundraised around $900 of the $1,200 needed.The rest of the funds came from a $300 grant from the church.

Within the project, Luetke and his volunteers dug over 35 holes, each three feet deep for the fence posts. Fence posts were then filled in with dirt and cement. Luetke then coordinated screwing in and constructing the sections of fencing and gates for around the play area.

Arrowhead freshman and volunteer, Jack Kaczmarek, said, like any big projects, some problems got in the way..

“It was pretty good,” Kaczmarek pointed out, “but we hit some huge rocks that took us almost an hour to get out and be aware of where pipelines were.”

In planning the project, Luetke had to recount measurements for exact precision so the fence would fit well within the given space. He also had to obtain the right amount of materials in addition to fundraising, getting approval from BSA and Church officials, transporting and obtaining quotes on lumber and rental equipment, and gathering and feeding volunteers for the job.

In order to overcoming these challenges, Luetke used leadership and other skills necessary to coordinate the task.

“Determination,” Luetke said. “You have to be motivated. When I first started, I thought it’d be an easy task until day one was over and then I realized it’d be a lot harder.”

Now with his project completed, Luetke must finish completing all 13 Eagle required merit badges and go through a review process that will take anywhere from two to eight weeks in order to receive the highest rank in scouting, Eagle Scout.