Big Teacher No No’s: What to Try to Avoid When Teaching

Students Hard at Work.

Students Hard at Work.

High school students spend 8 hours of their day in school with their teachers. They form a bond or respect for each other. But what about the teacher that kids don’t like. What should that teacher try to avoid when teaching.

Emma Quinn says, “ I don’t like when teachers don’t tell us about tests and quizzes until one or two days before they happen because then I don’t have time to prepare and study for them. It just makes me more stressed than I already am.”

Pop quizzes are not the way to go. Teachers think that by giving pop quizzes that that is a way to see if a student is keeping up on the homework, but students don’t like that and neither do the parents. (Found in 13 Reasons Students Hate Teachers)

How should a teacher want to teach? “High school teachers should stop acting like their students are little kids. Students hate that. When a student is in high school, they should have a few less provisions. They don’t like the teacher hovering over them keeping an eye on what they are doing, they are able to do that themselves, and if they can’t they should come to the teacher for help.”- says Sophie Patterson.

Boring teachers. Sometimes there are those teachers students just want to fall asleep to. Teachers should try and not lecture their students. Lectures are long and boring. Teachers should try to mix it up, incorporate a game, something that engages the student. That would ultimately make the student look forward the the teacher’s class. The student would pay more attention to the teacher and most likely take more out of the lesson.  

Teachers that yell. Students don’t like teachers that yell because it’s negative and embarrassing. There is always another way to solve a problem that does not require yelling. If the student is being annoying, just kick them out of the class. It’s easy, simple, and effective.

If the teachers and staff can get along with the student, it will make teaching and being taught a whole lot easier. Even if the student doesn’t like school. Because they know they will at least be able to enjoy themselves in the class. It makes a really positive environment for everyone.

Teachers and students don’t have to dislike each other. And there isn’t one perfect teacher or one perfect student. But that doesn’t mean that the classroom has to be a war zone