Freshmen Soar Into WINGS

Arrowhead Union High School welcomes its freshmen at a three-day program called Wings.

Program founder, and Arrowhead Dean of Students, Rick Witte, says the purpose of Wings is to ease freshmen into their first year at Arrowhead.

The program heavily relies on the aid of peer mentors. Mentors are sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are there to answer questions, give advice, and get the freshmen excited to start high school.

If you want to become a mentor, you need to fill out an application found in the guidance office, the supervisors involved in Wings will then process the application and call you back for a one-on-one interview. If the supervisors feel as though you would be a good fit for the program, you will be notified of your new title as “Wings Mentor.”

The program kickstarts with a pep rally that is used to get the freshman excited. This pep rally is a key component to Wings, because it’s the first real activity as an Arrowhead student that they will be attending.

Emily Richter, a freshman who attended Wings this previous summer, says, “The pep rally really wowed me, and it gave me the chance to see what Arrowhead is known for; excellence.”

The marching band, color guard, Hawkettes, and dance team are all present to show the Arrowhead spirit as are the mentors and staff.

After the pep rally, the freshman were taken back to their classroom, aka their “hawk’s nest,” which contained three to four mentors, a staff member, and between 20-30 freshmen. While in the nest, students were able to have any questions answered about AHS.

Richter says, “it was very helpful because of the connection with the mentors, they were able to give advice found from their perspective,” she also said it gave the students and mentors time to form bonds and friendships within the classroom that would still be in use during the school year.

One of the most popular activities done during Wings would be the scavenger hunt/tour of South campus.

Richter says, “I was originally nervous about coming into Arrowhead and not knowing where any of my classes were, but this program really helped with easing me into it.”

While participating in the scavenger hunt, freshmen are led throughout South campus to see the ins and outs of the school.

Other activities that are led by mentors would be the “Arrowhead Experiences,” that are used to educate freshmen on different classes and clubs Arrowhead has to offer. Also, games are used to have the freshmen experience some fun.

However, it’s also a time for mentors to have fun.

Luke Pitzo,  a junior wings mentor, says, “being a mentor means being the person they can go to for advice, but also have fun with. It’s a great opportunity to share with them the times I’ve had thus far at Arrowhead and it’s all very exciting.”

When asked if he would be a mentor again, Pitzo says, “Absolutely. Wings gave me so much as an incoming freshman, and now it’s awesome to give back to the school who has given so much to me.”