AHS Students use Social Media to promote events in 2016

Student viewing the Arrowhead DECA Twitter page at school

Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat impact students at Arrowhead High School. Students go on social media to connect with their friends, keep themselves updated on the latest fashions, and to promote things, such as Hawkfest for marketing students.

Hawkfest is an event led by Arrowhead DECA and marketing students. It takes place on September 30th during the Arrowhead vs Kettle Moraine football game. It is hosted at Arrowhead in the main parking lot grass area by north campus. There will be food, games, and raffles.

According to Tomas Artiles, who is a senior at AHS, “Social media is not a necessity in school, or in life.”

Artiles says he would rather “talk to his classmates and friends in person, rather than talking to them over the phone.” He says, “[I would rather] hear about my friends summer experiences in person, rather than seeing the pictures and experiences over social media.” He says he does not have an Instagram or Twitter account.

Kendall Kvool, a junior at AHS, says that “social media usage, such as Twitter and Snapchat, is a good way to promote and work on advertising assignments in school.”

Students who are in Marketing classes at AHS use Twitter to promote sporting events, school dances, and fundraising events school wide. This account, @Arrowhead_DECA, posts tweets such as “Marketing students showing off their Hawkfest shirts with the DECA Diamond…Get your shirts in school store.”  and “Stop in the store to get some Yo Mama frozen yogurt while you pick up a Hawkfest shirt.” They use this Twitter to get people to come to their fundraising event. This appeals to many students because social media is something that a lot of students use.

Kvool says, “Social media is a fast and easy way to get the message across to all of the students at Arrowhead.”

Jenna Nyhouse, a senior at AHS, says she uses social media in a different way. As she makes her way to her college years, she uses social media to keep up with her college softball coaches, and uses it to keep up with what is going on at her dream school, UW Stout. She says she spends an average of four hours each day on some type of technology. Nyhouse says social media “gives me the opportunity to chat with other professionals that may help her with her school work.”