North Campus Offers Coffee Shop as Study Hall Alternative

Wally Ground Cafe Menu

Arrowhead High School has an in-school coffee shop, called Wally Grounds Café. This cafe is at North Campus near door five and serves as a study hall alternative. Students can choose to go to the school coffee shop rather than the traditional study hall classroom during any study hall. The coffee shop is open from 6:45 AM through fifth hour.

The coffee shop sells flavored coffees, plain coffee, hot chocolate, apple cider, pumpkin spice lattes, and hot tea.

A regular small coffee is priced at one dollar;, flavored small coffees are priced at two dollars;, a small hot chocolate is priced at one dollar;, lattes and apple cider are priced at two dollars and fifty cents;, and hot teas are priced at one dollar.

According to health.com, nearly 75% of teens and kids consume coffee and other caffeinated beverages every day.

Eileen Dlobik runs the north campus Wally Grounds Café.

“It’s very popular,” she says. “The busiest times are before school and especially when the weather starts getting cooler hot chocolates and pumpkin spice lattes are very in demand.”

Dlobik says, “We also have raspberry flavoring, which is not shown on the menu.”

Ten people from each hour of study hall are accepted into the coffee shop. Students who wish to go to the coffee shop are allowed to head directly to the coffee shop without stopping in the study halls. Students must sign in, and the coffee shop will notify the study hall teachers of the student’s presence.

Erin Schaubel is a junior at Arrowhead High School.

Schaubel says, “I think the coffee shop is cute, and it’s really nice if you want coffee but don’t have time to go to Starbucks or something before school.”

Schaubel says, “I get a lot less homework done when I go there. It’s very relaxing and I only go there when I don’t have to get anything done. It’s a fun place to just hang out with friends.”

Dlobik says, “We stress that this is the place to go if you don’t have a lot of homework. We take 10 students at a time, and we encourage positive conversation.”

“We have Stone Creek coffee, which is a really good coffee,” Dlobik says.

The coffee shop will continue to be presented as an alternative to study hall for the remainder of the year.