Students Review Second Semester

Arrowhead’s Academic Office

Exams and first are over and second semester started on Monday the 25th. For seniors, it’s their last semester of high school before college life begins.

Since it’s second semester, students immediately adapt to the new semester schedules. Students have the ability to change or drop a class if they don’t need or want it.

How are the new classes for seniors at Arrowhead?

Arrowhead student Mcgovern says, “They’re fine.”

Arrowhead senior Gianna Natalizio also says, “they’re pretty much the same.”

“They’re not that bad,” says Arrowhead senior Nicole Hospel.

“My least favorite so far is modern lit because on the first day we talked about we course selection for next year,” says Mcgovern, who is a senior and has no interest in next year’s classes

Natalizio says Advanced Speech is her least favorite so far, because she was assigned a speech on the first day of class and is very nervous about getting up in front of everyone.

“Math because I don’t know anyone in there and they’re all juniors and I’m really bad at math and it’s awkward,” says Hospel.

Mcgovern says her favorite class is “Pre calc because it’s easy and I really like math.”

Natalizio says that her favorite hour of the day is tenth hour, where she has study hall.

“It gives me time to work on my homework so I have less to do at home and there’s no more classes to worry about,” says Natalizio.

A lot of students will either have the same teacher for the second part of a class or continue with a different teacher.

The change can be big for some students. Adjusting to new teaching methods can be hard to adjust since they’re used to their old teachers ways. Hospel is one student who had a switch for one of her core classes physics.

“I had Schanz for Physics last semester and now I have Mr. Streufert. And he’s really friendly and energetic, I do wish I could have kept Schanz as a teacher all year though, just so the teaching method could be consistent,” says Hospel.

Students also have the ability to drop classes or switch around their schedule. For Mcgovern, she says “no” to not dropping any of her new classes.

“I wish I could drop speech,” says Natalizio.

Hospel says, “I really wish I could drop Spanish just because I’m not really good at the class, I don’t really know anyone in my new class, and I just don’t want to do anything with it in the future..”

“I liked my schedule from last year better because I had a study hall in the middle of the day because it broke the classes up but now I have [tenth hour study hall] and it takes forever to get there,” says Mcgovern.

Natalizio says she preferred her old schedule because it was easier to get to her classes. The most difficult part of a new schedule is adjusting to the far walk between classes, according to Natalizio.

“Now I have classes that are in completely opposite corners of the school!” she says.

Hospel, however, is looking at the new semester with more optimism.

“[My second semester] classes are a little harder, but now I have study hall in the afternoon and it make it a lot easier to manage my homework.”

Another difficult adjustment is changing student’s daily routines and schedules that they’ve had all school year so far. But some students are finding it easier to adjust than others.

“Day one [of new schedules] are sometime difficult, but by day two you’re pretty much in the swing of things,” says Mcgovern, while Natalizio says it’s been difficult for her to adjust.

Hospel, who has minimal changes to her new schedule, says it’s an easy transition for her.

“Because it’s just like figuring out your schedule at the beginning of the year, it only takes me about  week to get used to a new schedule.”