Last Semester Brings New Goals For AHS Seniors

With first semester done, there’s now second semester. College is just around the corner for some seniors.  Although it’s senior year for half the students at North Campus and there’s only one semester left, keeping students grades and GPA’s high should be a priority.

Some students may have fallen out of their routine over the break, or even just decided to not care as much as they did second semester as most seniors have already admitted into a college. But according to fastweb.com, by forcing both yourself and your mind to get back in the daily routine, you will be able to obtain high school success.

“I’m accepted into college and have one semester left of high school, so for me, that doesn’t mean slacking off, it means getting myself in gear and getting ready for college. College is going to be a lot harder so I don’t want to take it easy this semester at all. I’m setting little goals here and there, like what I would like to get on upcoming tests and to shoot for having a total of two hours of studying for that subject a night. I’m trying to really finish out of Arrowhead strong and prepare for college,” says senior Andi Eckl.

With college and graduation a priority for most seniors, it can be a stressful time. Setting small, attainable goals, according to foxbuisness.com’s article, “How to keep your senior motivated,” will help decrease that stress. Throughout the year, set goals to keep yourself focused. An example of a goal could be maintaining a certain GPA, completing college applications by a particular date, or holding a part-time job.

“First semester I didn’t really make any goals for myself. This semester, even though I’m accepted into college, I need to put a lot of effort so I can keep the overall GPA that I have. If I drop lower in my cumulative GPA drastically, or if I fail a class, my application could be revised. So setting goals for myself in certain classes is really going to help me out with keeping that up,” says senior Grace Cummings.

According to huffingtonpost.com, in the article, “The Truth About Senior Year of High School: What to Expect and How to Deal,” there are a few things to expect your senior year, especially in the last semester or term. Your grades still matter, and if senioritis hits, fight it. During your senior year, you will be busy, so stay organized, as the end of the year will be exciting and emotional.

Huffingtonpost author, Kat Cohen, writes that students should keep focus on maintaining your grades. As for senioritis, the article says to set realistic goals throughout the school year and work to attain them. Cohen gives examples like striving for an A in a challenging course, preparing for a competition or volunteering more often, working toward goals will keep you on track for a great finish to senior year.

For organization, Cohen advises to stay up to date and organized with an agenda. This will help you not only your senior year, but also in college when you will need to continue to stay organized to be successful.

“This last semester is going to be really tough. I’m already having really bad senioritis. But I know I have to do well and maintain my GPA. I’m trying to look forward to things, to keep my energy up, like prom in a few months. I didn’t think of setting goals for myself though, so I will definitely try that because I think that would help with my procrastination right now,” says senior Colette Stitch.

“For an overall goal that I’m making for myself before college, is to work on maintaining my priorities on my own and becoming more independent. College is going to be all on my own and I have to figure things out, without asking for too much help. My goal is to just work on time management, organization and my after school priorities, to prepare myself for college next fall,” says senior, Alli Kroeninger.