Paying To Scream

Arrowhead students pose for a picture with a clown at a haunted house

Ghosts, goblins, and ghouls, oh my! Halloween is just right around the corner, and on Saturday, October 31, throughout the month of October, this spooky holiday brings haunted houses containing creepy costumes, scary creatures, startling sounds, and things that go bump in the night.

For years, people have been going to haunted houses looking for a good scare. According to the Hauntrepreneurs website, the haunted house industry has become a $300 million industry.

In the Waukesha County, there are nearly a dozen haunted houses people can choose from. So the main question is as follows: why do people cough up their money to be scared, and why do they enjoy it so much?

Some Arrowhead students say they  are willing to pay the $10 to $20 admission fee for haunted houses because they enjoy the adrenaline rush and excitement they experience as a result of the activity.

Senior Kyle Eberie says, “You get an emotional thrill out of it. You’re usually not scared a lot in life so when you are scared, it’s a thrill.”

However, not everyone is a fan of haunted houses or intentionally seeking out ways to be frightened. Two examples are seniors Alec Bishoff and Garth Macey who say they are not fans of being scared or going to haunted houses. Macey says he simply does not find them that exciting.  

Bishoff says, “I see why other people do [like to be scared]. You get the adrenaline rush, it’s like going on a rollercoaster.”

Macey acknowledged that the price of admission to a haunted house does factor into his decision about visiting or, more accurately, not visiting them. According to Macey, going to a haunted house can get expensive.

He said, “If I’m paying for myself, $15, but if I’m paying for someone else, $30.”

The overall consensus among fans of haunted houses is that the experience is more fun when you go as a group.  The idea of traveling through a haunted house in a group seems to have an appeal to many students.

Sophomore Anna Bromberger says, “I love haunted houses, and they’re always fun to go with in groups.”

Senior Ashley Teuteberg said, “I don’t think I’ve ever actually been to a haunted house.”  “[Haunted houses] tend to have clowns. Not a fan, but I’ve never really had people that were willing to go with me because my friends are chickens.”

For most Arrowhead students, haunted houses are fun because of the fear and the adrenaline rush. According to Bromberger, that is a key part to a great halloween.

Bromberger says, “[Halloween] is known for being scary and being scared for fun. Without the fear factor we wouldn’t really have a true halloween.”

So this halloween if you are looking for a good scare, there are plenty of opportunities at haunted houses in the area. Just make sure you think about bringing a friend or two for protection and to enhance the experience.