AHS DECA Classes Participate in Service Projects

In DECA classes–Sports Entertainment, Sales and Advertising, Enternupership Venture, and Marketing and Business–students are given the opportunity to have pen pals.

DECA is an organization through marketing classes. It is referred to as “An Association of Marketing Students.” Within this club students are given leadership, community service and academic opportunities.

On DECA.org, it states the mission of the organization is to prepare emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.

Students at Arrowhead who take a DECA class will complete a community service project.

Students can compete in competitions at local, state, and national levels.

At Arrowhead Union High School, marketing teacher Steve Melzer says he offers his students the opportunity to write to residents at  nursing homes. Students will write to them throughout the year and becoming pen pals with them.

Senior Maddie Kopecky says she is very excited to be apart of this project. “I think it is a great idea for the students here to be a part of. They will make connections and learn about someone they didn’t know in their past. If we can continue this throughout the year, I think I will have made a great friend, and it will be a good way I can remember my senior year.”

Melzer says he created a Google document for all the students to look at and get ideas from. He suggests that students writing the letters should include a picture of yourself, insert artwork that you made or write them a letter.

Since the classes want to continue this through the year, students will be asked to send a card during Halloween, Thanksgiving, the Holiday Season (Christmas and New Years), Valentines Day, St. Patrick’s Day, and during the Spring Season.

Kyra Emmert, a junior, says she is also planning on having a pen pal. “I think this is a great event that DECA is putting on. It is something unique that I haven’t heard done before at Arrowhead. I am super excited to write to my pen pal and learn more about them.”

Students who aren’t involved in DECA are still able to participate. If you would like to be involved in this, you can email Melzer at [email protected].