Bring on the Carpal Tunnel: College Essays

College in and of itself is stressful. The requirements, letters of recommendation, ACT/SAT scores, and let’s not forget, the essay.  The weight an essay has on a students college acceptance varies from school to school, but is none the less important.

“I am so nervous about applying for colleges at the right time and worrying about my high school schedule and work that the stress just keeps piling up,” said Grace Kust.

The prompt for the essay can range from “Where’s Waldo” to a prompt about a time when the student experienced failure, according to About.com

The College Essay Workshop that is apart of Arrowhead’s summer school program, “will help students understand what college admission officers desire in a college essay,” according to the flyer.

“It is to help student prepare for perhaps multiple essays for different colleges that they are applying to and be successful,” said Kathy Nelson, English teacher and also one of the college essay workshop teacher.

Writing skills, writing technique, and strategies will be just some of the focus at the workshop according to Nelson.

“There is opportunity to get feedback from teachers, from peers, and when they [ the students] are finished, they should have an essay that’s ready to go,”

With everything that is going on in students lives, work, school, family, friends, the college essay workshop can be one of the ways stress and nerves can be removed from the college application process.

The College Essay Workshop is August 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th with two session times, 12:30pm- 3:30pm or 4pm-7pm. It will be in North campus, room 199.