Arrowhead Students take The Aspire Test

Arrowhead High School is having Aspire testing for freshman and sophomores this year. It will take eight half school days to fully complete the testing.

The Aspire test assesses student readiness in English, math, reading, science, and writing. It tests student growth from grades three to eight and early high school to determine college and career readiness.

The Aspire tests monitors individual scores and group scores, testing not only the students but the schools also. The results are sent off to the headquarters to assure that the education is to the level it needs to be to prepare students for success in future schooling and college.

The testing is scheduled throughout multiple days in April and May. It will take place on April 27th, 28th, and 30th. Testing will also follow into May, on the 1st, 14th, 15th, 18th and 19th. Testing will be happen at North and South Campus.

Testing will occur for the second half of the selected days, starting during 5th period, at 10:16 AM for South Campus and 10:26 AM for North Campus. On A and B days, students have different classes. Testing is scheduled on four A days and four B days, equally, so certain classes don’t fall behind. Students will get out of school at the normal scheduled time, 2:26 South Campus and 2:36 North Campus.

Freshmen and Sophomores take the Aspire test on different days. Testing takes place twice during the year for freshmen, during the Fall and Spring. Sophomores only take the test during the spring. Juniors and Seniors do not take the test.

A senior at Arrowhead, Matt Batcher, doesn’t have to take the Aspire test anymore. “We come come in around 10:30 for 8 days, it’s awesome,” said Batcher.

According to DiscoverActAspire.org, The Aspire test incorporates multiple question types including constructed response, selected response, and technology-enhanced items to better assess student knowledge and provide more meaningful insights. It is a multiple choice test.

The Aspire results are reported on a 3-digit score scale. For ninth and tenth graders, scores for the individual subjects usually vary between a low of 400 and reach a high of 460. All of the subjects are then composited, showing a typical score of 400 as a low score and 452 as a high score.

The score sheet that students receive after the test shows their composite score, individual skill performance, predicted path, improvement ideas, long term progress, and compares average scores on a national level. An online practice Aspire test is available on ArrowheadSchools.org for students who choose to use it.

Not only does it show the Aspire test score, but it predicts the score that the student would get on the ACT. There is also an “ACT Readiness Benchmark” for English, reading, writing, math and science at each grade level to show additional perspectives on student readiness.

A freshman at Arrowhead, Kendall Kvool, took the test in the fall and will be testing again this spring. “I like the late start even though testing can get kind of boring. It’s something we all have to do and the results are really helpful” said Kvool.