Arrowhead Students Raise Money for Leukemia

NHS is sponsoring a week-long penny war amongst Arrowhead Students and Mr. Nejedlo. The money will be raised for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, founded in 1949, is the world’s largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education and patient services according to www.lls.org

If you choose to donate outside of the school’s fundraiser, you can still donate to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society that helps fund lifesaving research and provides information and support to patients throughout their cancer journey.

Each grade will have their own designated money jar located inside of the library.

The goal of the penny war is to end with the highest total amount of money in the jar. Students are asked to add silver coins to opposing grade’s jars and add pennies and dollar bills to your own grade’s jar.

The winning grade will be entered in a lunch raffle to win gift cards. If the money from all grades combined are able to raise over $1,000, Pete Nejedl, Arrowhead associate principal will be shaving off his mustache

Ricki Galstad, a senior at Arrowhead, says she thinks this will help the organization gain awareness.

“Not only will it help the organization get awareness, but it’s kind of a fun way to bring our class together right before we graduate. Anyone can help or participate because you don’t need to bring in a hundred dollars,” says Galstad.

Morgan Merbeth, a senior at Arrowhead, says she gave money to the jars in hopes of helping the cause and to see her class raise enough to reach the goal.

“I had a few dollars on me the other day when I was in the library so I put it into the jar for my class. It made me feel really good to know I was helping out,” says Merbeth.

Mackenzie Huckstorf, a senior at Arrowhead, says she’s happy the school put together this fundraiser for the school to help raise awareness.

“It’s great they are trying to get high school students involved and I’m happy it’s for a good cause,” says Huckstorf.