Seniors Face Pressures of College Application Season

As October rolls in, Arrowhead seniors are frantically filling out college applications in order to meet the November 1st deadline.  Some hope for an admission letter from a Wisconsin school, while others are anticipating one from an out-of-state school.

Many Arrowhead students have their eyes on being a Wisconsin Badger next fall.  UW-Madison admission standards are very competitive, stressing out those who are applying.  The average GPA for the university comes in at about a 3.6 GPA and an average ACT score of 27. Chances for admission can increase if a students writes an exemplary essay.

“I’ve dreamed of being a Badger all of my life pretty much.  At this point, my  accomplishments are in the hands of those in charge of admissions.  I just have to hope for the best,” said Alyssa Stark, senior at Arrowhead.

Others at the school have aspirations for other UW schools.  Popular schools that attracts Arrowhead students are UW-Whitewater, UW-Oshkosh, and UW-Milwaukee.  For those that choose to apply to UW-La Crosse, students also face competitive admission averages.  The average GPA comes in around a 3.4 GPA and a 24 ACT.

“I love Wisconsin, although, college is a time for me to discover more that’s out there,” said Willow Warell, a senior who has hopes of out-of-state schools.

Students with this mentality face high out-of-state tuition costs.  Although, students looking for the distance can apply to Minnesota schools and receive reciprocity. Reciprocity qualifies the student as a Minnesota resident, therefore receiving Minnesota’s in-state tuition.

“Minnesota-Twin Cities is such a great school and I love the fact that I could receive in-state tuition.  I would get to go out of state for the prices of my own state,” said Jenna Walters, senior and hopeful student of Twin Cities.

Whether a student is choosing to stay close to home or travel far, all face the pressures of the application season.