Arrowhead Students Getting Jobs And What Jobs to Get

Starbucks in Delafield Wisconsin

Most Arrowhead students will come to a point in their life where they are going to want to start working to make money to be able to use in any way they see fit. But why would a teen want to work? Why would a high school student want to make money? And what will they put the money they make towards? What age do students want to get a job at and how are they going to go about getting one?What can and can’t a high school worker do exactly?

If a student is 14 or 15 years of age, they can work in retail, food service, or as a lifeguard. They can only work three hours or less on school days and 18 hours a week when school is in session. They can also only work after 7 A.M. and can only work until 7 P.M. Students that are 16 can work unlimited hours, but only at jobs declared non hazardous.

Connor Jones, a sophomore student at Arrowhead says, “I want a job, so I can afford everyday expenses such as gas, food, and entertainment. It also makes me feel more independent.”

Barrin Griffin, a sophomore at Arrowhead says, “I want a job to support my family. My young ones need food in their mouth, and I will be able to afford that with money.”

But what kind of jobs do high school students want? Kenzie Luterbach, a sophomore at Arrowhead High School says, “Babysitting is a good job for most because the hours are nice. Typically, babysitters work Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, leaving the long hard week open for their school work and club or sport activities. Also, pay is pretty good for babysitters, though it varies on the age and number of children they are babysitting.”

Another great job for high schoolers is landscaping/lawncare. Although demanding and hard work, if you are cut out for it, the reward is high. Wages for this job are typically higher than minimum wage and if you live in a warmer area, you might enjoy the work a little bit more.

Getting a job can be a demanding yet positive thing for a high school student to partake in. If you are dedicated, you can make enough money to supply your social needs and still have a balanced life. A job also adds responsibility and dedication, which are some traits that are positive for teens.