Moonlit Movies Provide Family/Friends with an Inexpensive Night Event

Moonlit Movies have been around since 2005. The movies take place in two different locations, at Fowler Park and in Downtown Oconomowoc. Each movie starts at dusk, however themed activities begin at 4:30 p.m.

Alaina Lanser, a senior at Arrowhead High School, said, “I really enjoy Moonlit Movies. The best part about them is that they are free. I’m currently saving up for college, so this free activity is perfect for me. This event is good for families and friends. My friends and I always grab a few blankets, and some candy to snack on. I have also gone with my family, and everyone had a good time. I highly recommend Moonlit Movies to anyone in the Lake Country area.”

These movies are completely free to attend. This is beneficial for many Arrowhead students. With college approaching students, such as Alaina Lanser, are saving their money. Community events like Moonlit Movies allow these students to have a fun time with their friend/family without breaking their bank accounts.

The movies in Fowler Park are located in the “bowl” of the lawn. The bowl is where all the hills in the park meet, and create a large hole like figure in the park. Not to worry, the park is professionally and safely treated for mosquitoes prior to the movie. Downtown Oconomowoc movies are held in the middle of Wisconsin Avenue, between the downtown shops.

The official Moonlit Movie facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MoonlitMovies, hosts a poll for each movie night. This poll contains a few movie options, and viewers get to vote on which movie they want to see the most. The winning movie is then shown at the next Moonlit Movie.

The next movie will be shown on Thursday August 18. As usual, activities will start at 4:30 p.m., and the movie will begin at dusk. The movie is yet to be released, but the Facebook page will inform everyone about any details.

Moonlit Movie nights are filled with different activities. The festivities begin before the movie starts. Each movie contains different activities, but in the past movies tend to come along with live music, costumed characters, Badgerland Water Ski Show, giant bounce houses, contests, games, celebrity appearances, superheros, and more.

Ashlyn Travers, a senior at Arrowhead High School, said, “I have gone to a Moonlit Movie before with my family. I have four siblings, so family nights can sometimes be a bit difficult. Surprisingly, this event pleased everyone in my family. The attractions prior to the movie, such as the costumed characters, pleased my younger siblings, while my older sibling and I enjoyed The Badgerland Water Ski Show. Everyone liked the movie as well. My family and I will definitely attend the next Moonlit Movie.”

Moonlit Movies is a non-profit organization run by many volunteers and sponsors. Some of 2016’s sponsors include First Bank Financial Center, Lake Country Physicians, Oconomowoc Area School District, and Crosspoint Community Church. A volunteer board of nine different members help operate and organize every Moonlit Movie event. Without the help from these local businesses and volunteers Moonlit Movies would not be possible.

If you’re going to attend this event there are a few things you will need to bring. This list will ensure you don’t forget anything:

1. Every movie the Oconomowoc Food Pantry accepts food donations which also count as an entry into the drawing for “the best seats in the house” which includes prime seats, a filled cooler, and a blanket. The best part is that the winner gets to take it all home.
  2. Each family is responsible for bringing their own seating, so make sure to pack some lawn chairs or blankets.
  3. Don’t forget your wallet! Although the movie itself is free, items such as food, drinks, and glow toys are not.
  4. Bug Spray is a huge necessity. Just in case any mosquitos seem to escape the park treatment.
  5. When the movie is over it’s important to pick up any trash you may have dropped. A flashlight will help make this task earlier.

So, the next time you decide to stop by a Moonlit Movie make sure to pack everything necessary, and thank any volunteers/ sponsors you see.